Sunday, April 4, 2010

Farewell, but not Goodbye!

Dear fellow bloggers,

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for reading my thoughts about all things communication on my blog. Thanks for sticking with me through my blogging struggles and successes, especially in the beginning stages as I was attempting to discover the emerging blogosphere and establish my own blogging style.

It has certainly been interesting for me to discover the social effects of citizen media, and the ways in which the blog serves as an effective outlet for personal thoughts and sentiments that have created me, the blogger as a knowledge producer. Being able to actually contribute to the knowledge base of the internet, even if only read by students of CS 400, is still a huge step forward for citizen media as opposed to simply the consumption of mainstream media. I have also found, that by blogging my thoughts I feel more connected to the process of learning and knowledge. Blogging has connected me not only to my own thoughts, those of my fellow classmates, but to the general production of knowledge with is an important lesson that can be applied in many aspects of life. I am now much more critical of the production of knowledge, who produces and by what means through this blogging exercise.

One of my favourite parts about blogging, both writing and reading, has been the hypertextuality aspect. I love being able to click on links that will instantaneously direct me to a website or video so that I can learn more about it. Or, if I already know about the particular topic or term that is being discussed, I can choose to read past and not click on the hyperlink. This allows me to personalize my reading and understanding of the text, something that is missing from traditional media such as newspapers and magazines. Hyperlinking allows for connective writing, so blogs may link to another blog or article to allow for a greater contextualization.

This blogging exercise of connected writing has helped to not only put forth my own ideas and opinions but has also helped to raise awareness as you link to other blogs but also recognize other knowledge being produced in the blogosphere and internet as a whole. So I'd like to thank you my dear readers for joining me on this journey of discovery!

Finally, I liked to share a short video about "Blog Action Day" 2009. This is an annual day that has been happening for a few years now that attempts to harness the power of citizen journalism and the blog to combat the onset of global climate change. This is an excellent example of the ways in which our society and public sphere can benefit from the blogosphere, and the cooperation that can take place.



Thank you again for reading!
Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment